Employees across the company worked together to mark Sherritt’s annual Sustainability Month in June.
Making Sustainability Month an Annual Tradition
In 2019, to broadly share Sherritt’s commitment to sustainability and engage our employees, we once again celebrated Sustainability Month in June across all of Sherritt’s divisions.
Sustainability Month aligned with World Environment Day (WED), celebrated globally on June 5. Last year’s theme was “Beat Air Pollution”. Our divisions thought of innovative and fun ways to connect employees to the work we do and the communities around our operations.
Examples of the types of initiatives and events that took place include:
- An annual nature walk in the area surrounding the Fort Site to learn about the natural flora and fauna and environmental monitoring activities taking place;
- A reusable coffee cup challenge held by the Corporate office to discourage the use of disposable coffee cups;
- A children’s art competition, “Painting the Environment”, was held in Moa, Cuba, in celebration of World Environment Day;
- A beach clean-up and waste sorting activity in Cuba, held by OGP;
- The addition of indoor plants for air quality and mental wellness in Havana, Cuba;
- Donations of new and gently used sports equipment for underprivileged youth in Cuba;
- Lunch-and-learn sessions with internal and external experts presenting across the company on topics such as air monitoring at the Fort Site, tailings management in Cuba, and the Trans Canada Trail project, among other topics.
The theme for World Environment Day 2020 is “Time for Nature”. To learn about WED, click here.