Employees across the company worked together to mark Sherritt’s annual Sustainability Month in June.
Making Sustainability Month an Annual Tradition
In 2018, in an effort to broadly share Sherritt’s commitment to sustainability and our performance and engage our employees in the topic, we once again celebrated Sustainability Month in June across all of Sherritt’s divisions.
Sustainability Month aligned with World Environment Day (WED), celebrated globally on June 5. Last year’s theme was “Beat Plastic Pollution”. Our divisions took the theme to heart and thought of innovative and fun ways to connect employees to the work we do and the communities around our operations.
Examples of the types of initiatives and events that took place:
- A nature walk in the area surrounding our Fort Site to learn about the natural flora and fauna and environmental monitoring activities taking place;
- A volunteer day to support the work done by Habitat for Humanity on a nearly finished development in outside of Toronto benefitting families in need of affordable housing;
- A contest to gather ideas on how to incorporate innovative sustainable practices in the new corporate office which resulted in lessening the number of dishwashers for reduced water use and the incorporation of indoor plants for air quality and mental wellness;
- A showcase for employees of all the biodiversity to be found on site at Ambatovy;
- Sharing short sustainability videos highlighting sustainability challenges and having conversations with employees about current sustainability initiatives;
- Walking competition where employees tracked the distance they walked during the month;
- A children’s art competition in Moa, Cuba;
- Lunch-and-learn sessions with internal and external experts presenting across the company.
In 2019, Sherritt will once again be participating in Sustainability Month and World Environment Day. The theme this year is focused on air pollution To learn about WED, click here.