Employees across the company worked together to mark Sherritt’s inaugural Sustainability Month in June.
Kicking Off Annual Sustainability Month Globally
In 2017, in celebration of Sherritt’s 90th anniversary and in an effort to broadly share Sherritt’s commitment to sustainability and our performance, we launched the first ever Sustainability Month in June. All of Sherritt’s divisions participated.
Sustainability Month aligned with World Environment Day (WED), celebrated globally on June 5. Last year’s theme was “Connecting People to Nature”. Our divisions took the theme to heart and thought of innovative and fun ways to connect employees to the work we do and the communities around our operations.
Examples of the types of initiatives and events that took place:
- A nature walk in the area surrounding our Fort Site to learn about the natural flora and fauna and environmental monitoring activities taking place;
- A sustainability-themed book club where employees read Your Brain on Nature: The Science of Nature’s Influence on Your Health, Happiness and Vitality, by Eva Selhub and Allan Logan, and then got together to discuss;
- A volunteer day to plant local wildflowers in a park and bird sanctuary along Toronto’s waterfront;
- Planting a commemorative tree in Havana to mark 90 years in operation;
- A children’s art competition in Moa, Cuba;
- Sustainability-themed lunch-and-learn sessions across the company;
- Over 150 employees planted native trees and plants like Eucalyptus and Acacia at the mine and plant sites at Ambatovy; and
- Sherritt’s corporate office opened the Toronto Stock Exchange.
In 2018, Sherritt will once again be participating in Sustainability Month and World Environment Day. The theme this year is “Beat Plastic Pollution”. To learn about WED, click here.